SPOR festival for contemporary music and sound art invites composers and sound artists to submit a proposal for a new work to be realized at SPOR festival 2016, Aarhus, DK.
FEE FOR REALIZING THE PROPOSAL: € 1.000
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING: November 9th 2015.
THEME OF THE CALL AND FESTIVAL:
The proposal may describe a wide range of projects, from works for ensemble and music theatre pieces to sound art installations. In 2016 the festival theme is WYSI(N)WYG, an acronym for What You See Is (Not) What You Get. With this offset we wish to pick up the ancient theme of mimesis and the related questions to ‘reality’ and take it into modern daily life; (virtual) reality, the many personalities we have on the internet, technology, social life vs. social media, original vs. copy…
The proposal should reflect the theme of the festival, handle it either concrete or more abstract.
CONDITIONS AND JURY:
The call for proposals is open to all types of composers and sound artists, from all over the world. You may only submit in one proposal. An internatio nal jury will judge the proposals and choose five proposals to be realized at SPOR 2016. Each selected composer/artist/group of artists will receive a fee of € 1.000 for realizing the work. SPOR will cover travel expenses of up to € 200 and provide two night’s accommodation in Aarhus, Denmark.
If the Call ensemble GAME (see below) finds it necessary and it is possible to arrange dates that suit both ensemble and composer, there will be an opportunity to rehearse with GAME before the festival in Brussels.
The jury members for Call for Proposals 2016 are:
Michael Beil (DE, Composer)
Stefan Prins & Pieter Marthyssens (BE, Artistic Directors Nadar Ensemble)
Agostino Di Scipio (IT, composer and sound artist)
Tom Pauwels (BE, Artistic Director Call ensemble)
Anna Berit Asp Christensen & Anne Marqvardsen (DK, Festival and Artistic Directors, SPOR)
The jury’s decision is final an d cannot be legally challenged.
• Type of works: Acoustic, electronic, electro-acoustic, sound installation (with or without visuals), ensemble piece, solo performance or music theatre.
• Duration: For ensemble pieces and performances max. 15 min. Sound installations will run through the whole festival.
• Technical provision: 1 projector + screen; 1 stereo sound-system (with a small mixer); 4 microphones.
• Further instrumentalists, performers or technical equipment must be provided by the artist/composer.
• Non-technical items such as costumes, scenery and materials for installations must be provided by the artist/composer.
• Ensemble/performers/instruments available – tutti or in smaller formations:
GAME (Ghent Advanced Master Ensemble) under the artistic direction of Tom Pauwels:
Ruben Martinez-Orio (percussion) Primoz Zukic (guitar/e-guitar) Hannah Reardon -Smith (flute(s) Hanna Kölbel (cello) & Gwenaëlle Rouger (piano/keyboard).
GAME unites different collaborations between the students from the Advanced Master of Contemporary Music programme at the Royal Conservatory, Ghent, supported by Ictus and Spectra. GAME is the banner under which a young vanguard of excellent musicians joins forces, create new works and open-mindedly explore the most recent trends of the contemporary music scene.
o More info:
Contact: Tom Pauwels, (pauwels (a) ictus.be)
• Concert and staged works w ill be presented at one of the main venues of the festival.
• Installations can be presented at various venues in Aarhus (indoor/outdoor), agreed with the festival.
WHAT TO SEND:
• Fill out the PDF-form with your personal info, a short description of your proposal and links to 2-3 sound or video files that represent your work from the last 5 years.
DOWNLOAD THE FORM HERE.
• Maximum 2 pages of text as PDF describing one work that you wish to create and realize at the SPOR festival 2016 + link to streaming of video and/or sound file sketches (optional).
Please name the file “Proposal_text”.
• CV. Please name the file “CV”.
• Accompanying scores in PDF format are also welcome but optional.
9. Nov. 2015: Deadline for sending in proposals.
Primo January 2016: The 5 chosen proposals will be announced in the SPOR newsletter and on social media platforms.
1. March 2016: Deadline for delivering scores, parts and technical riders.
12.-15. May 2016: Performance/presentation at SPOR festival 2016 in Aarhus, Denmark.
WHERE TO SEND THE PROPOSAL:
• call (a) sporfestival (.) dk